Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Pioneer Elite sp99-D, Processor i had bought one when they

Customer Question

Pioneer Elite sp99-D, Processor i had bought one when they first came out i had a problem with the left surround channel letting audible noise(popping when function buttons pushed out of speaker only left surround) Now i played heck getting pioneer to fix it to end up having stolen i purchased a new unit it now has the same problem with left surround channel only
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: SP99D suround sound processor left rear surround chanel is allowing audible noise to be put thru the speaker when button functions pushed this is second unit that has had the exact same issue will you please help
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Theirs no troubleshooting, i bought a unit when they first came out that had THE SAME issue, this second unit is doing the same thing
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: well it is pretty basic left rear surround channel is allowing unit noise when function buttons pushed no other issues or noise
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

Sorry for the delay, does it also happen when you use the remote?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it does, Now it has caused my MC2100 amp to have static on startup, i hope the popping every time you use a function,has not caused an issue with the capacitors given the age, i talked to pioneer since that was an issue on these units to begin with, the first unit purchased did the same thing same channel i don't remember if they replaced one of the boards ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

It's a bad design. As a sound engineer, yes, any pop will damage amps over time. Since it's static, that could be your capacitors warming up, or it could be the volume pot. Move your knobs, and see if you can get the static to come back. If not, it's going to need to be repaired at some point. This type of symptom will cause the capacitor to leak white powder, so it will be easy to spot. The good thing is, the vintage amps are still serviceable by any repair shop.

The design flaw is in the ground. The control circuit grounds through the output (or close to it) and causes it to pop on that model.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Pioneer fixed the first unit that did that, but i don't remember what they fixed, i cant use it in that manner, does the board need replaced,does there need to be shielding on the grounding cable, at one point i could smell the component burning up,something with the filters that sound if i remember it was something to do the filtering on that channel,
Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

That does sound like the culprit, can you see any visual burning on the circuitry near the output?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
There is a small audio board above the main board i already looked for burnt or Caps with popped tops, i guess i need to pull that board of and inspect further,Dang-it that's like ten min tops, fifteen if i am slow to pull the board,i have to take my support companion outside to poddy and i will pull the board let you know OK?,
Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I don't have a schematic but i can back trace from output,or just look for burnt part lol
Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

A nose is a good tool as well. I use it to find burns frequently. :-)

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I pulled the board <the ground was on top way out of the way for the boards,but completely inspected both boards i don't see anything that is not right,i was really hoping since this is not a new issue two separate units,with the same problem don't you guys have the schematic find where the filter is on that channel, i would have to pack it up send it to Michigan spend 75 bucks to just asses the unit + shipping,and that is just to start,
Expert:  Rusty replied 28 days ago.

I'm sorry, I don't have a schematic. That would be handy. What is your zip code? I may be able to find someone local that can do the work.