Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a bose lifestyle 20 in a 1999 Beaver motorhome and

Customer Question

I have a bose lifestyle 20 in a 1999 Beaver motorhome and recently it broke down because the alternator had to be replaced. I was listening to the unit while waiting for the repair truck and two days later when I came to pick it up all the Zone 2 speakers were not working
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: bose lifestyle model 20
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: bought a new unit same problem
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: unplugged the sub wolfer and the center and plugged them in an hour later same problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the description of "...new unit same problem..." would indicate that the issue is not with the Lifestyle 20 but with the second Bose® powered speaker system serving as SPEAKERS for the ZONE 2. Trace and follow the wires of the plug connected to the jack 2 on the back of the music center.

Post back with the model numbers of these powered ZONE 2 speakers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand that and all wiring is ok. The monitor says Zone 2 is OFF. Must have been shut off when they did the new alternator and needs to be reset.. How do i test this unit (the sub woofer)to see if it is working?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Appreciate the picture.

Do you have a second remote control just for ZONE 2?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i do have a remote
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Let's do a review of the settings for the two (2) remote controls and turning On ZONE 2 using this second remote control.

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did that still nothing
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Interesting....

And on "... monitor says Zone 2 is OFF...", which monitor please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Monitor still says that Zone 2 is off.
There's nothing i do with the remote that turns it on..
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Bear with me; have you re-checked the DIP switch settings of the second remote for ZONE 2?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they are correct and when playing a CD it will pause and play but still No Sound
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Can you please try posting a clear picture of the back of the music center?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the picture
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Thanks.

To where is the SERIAL DATA cable connected to please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The top one
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Yes from the picture but it went to "somewhere"?

...likewise with the 2 RCA plugs to the TAPE OUT went to?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The speakers in the back bedroom and they work fine. They are hooked up to this Bose system...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Sorry but which is connected to the "...speakers in the back bedroom..."; the RCA-to-RCA?

or

the serial cable?

or both?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The RCA cables from the back of the stereo unit to the RCA cables on the Bose system in the back bedroom
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I understand; "...RCA cables from the back of the stereo unit to the RCA cables on the Bose system in the back bedroom..."

Bear with me further, but to where would the serial cable be connected to please?

I am trying to establish how the Bose Built-INvisible System 172075 is getting audio signals and turn on signals from the LS20's music center.

I am tempted to suspect that the reason ZONE 2 is OFF is because there is nothing connected to the SPEAKER ZONE 2 jack as may be seen from the second picture provided above.

Additionally, it is likely that the jewel cube speakers are not connected to the LS20's Acoustimass module.

And instead, the Acoustimass module's LEFT & RIGHT OUTPUT TO CUBE SPEAKERS are feeding the 172075's LEFT & RIGHT AUDIO INPUT.

Further, the 172075 would need a "REMOTE TURN ON" signal on its pin 4(?).

Absence of this remote turn on signal would not enable the 172075 to work hence no sound from the speakers connected to it.

Please confirm above.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The serial cable is connected to the subwoofer nothing has been moved or none of the wires had been touched. Everything was working fine up until they disconnected the battery for the motorhome.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Sorry but the picture shows the SPEAKER ZONE 1 cable which would most likely be connected to the Acoustimass module.

The Acoustimass module does not have a jack that can fit the SERIAL DATA cable/plug.

Hence the above "...where would the serial cable be connected t..."

Or if you have a multi-meter, what is the voltage on REMOTE TURN ON pin of the 172075 ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried to switch it manually by plugging into Zone 2 with the same results nothing no sound so I switched it back to Zone 1 but on the front of the unit I can also switch from Zone 1 and Zone 2 and I've tried both of those also.
I will have to wait till tomorrow to test it with the voltmeter
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Yes please; tomorrow or when conveniently able.

The presence/absence of the REMOTE TURN ON voltage at the 172075 is very critical.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which terminals on that unit do you want the voltage tested on?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Based on the last picture, that would be the terminal/pin labeled as "REMOTE TURN-ON" where the blue wire would be.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's showing 120 volts to the blue wire. I used the remote to turn on the stereo unit I switched it to AM, FM, auxiliary mute and pause and everything works from the remote.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Will the "REMOTE TURN-ON" / "...120 volts to the blue wire..." change when the music center is turned OFF ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The remote works and operates everything but the SOUND
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I understand.

I am hoping to determine where the fault is.

The above request for information is if the terminal/pin on the 172075 labeled as REMOTE TURN ON changes in voltage value from the earlier provided "...showing 120 volts to the blue wire..." if the music center is off.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Keep in mind NOTHING in the wiring has been changed. EVERYTHING was working
I suspect something just needs to be reset just like when you disconnect your car battery and you have to reset the channels on the radio.. At least that is what I have been told by the repair shop. A very respectful one...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I understand.

However, I would beg to differ and suspect that the 172075 has an issue and a reset would not be corrective.

Perhaps another member can provide an alternate approach to your concern.

With your indulgence, I would now re-open the question to solicit a second opinion by opting out.

Still, good luck with the Bose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what does that mean?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Somebody else would post a reply/solution.