Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a denon dra-697C1 and it's not working. I think one

Customer Question

I have a denon dra-697C1 and it's not working. I think one of my guests pressed a bunch of buttons and it's messed up, how can I reset the unit to factory settings?
Thank you!
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. In order to reset the receiver to factory defaults, shut the receiver OFF using the standby/power button on the front of the unit.

Then press and hold the "Speaker A" and "Speaker B" buttons on the receiver itself, while pressing the power/standby button once. Continue to hold the Speaker buttons until "Please Wait" flashes on the display and then release those buttons.

The processor will then be full reset and will clear any inadvertently pressed buttons on the receiver.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It doesn't seem to be working - "please wait" isn't coming up
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

These steps are straight from Denon for your model and also outlined on page 21 of the Owner's Manual at the link below:

http://www.instructionsmanuals.com/download/radios/Denon-DRA697CI-en.pdf

If you're still not able to get any sound, then be sure to check various "Sources" on the Denon (DVD, TV, and even the built-in FM tuner) to ensure the issue is not isolated to the "Source itself" a pulled cable, Cable Box that needs to be rebooted (by pulling it's power cord for 10 seconds and plugging it back in), etc.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Also if the factory reset per Denon is still not working, then consider unplugging the receiver for 10 seconds and plugging it back in and then trying those steps again.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Are you able to get the receiver to respond to the reset?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not resetting
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can I remove the "phono" on the top left? That shouldn't be on I'm thinking
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's a pic
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
The. This would indicate a processor failure in the receiver I'm afraid. If you're certain you're following them to the letter, and have tried it several times then the unit is not functioning as it was designed. The processor reset is designed by Denon to supersede all other settings and to always work unless there is an internal failure upstream. Given this, that's the only thing you can try on a user level and aside from leaving it unplugged for a length of time, the receiver would need service via Denon for this issue I'm afraid.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Hmm, have you unplugged the receiver yet? Also it looks like you may have zone 2 turned on. Have you tried shutting that off?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I turn the zone off to turn off the "phono" light
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
On the back of the remote are the zone 2 on and off buttons.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Try shutting the receiver off completely, all zones so that the display is dark. Then on the front of the remote press the ON button and try the processor reset.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok trying now
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Alright sounds good. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Are you having any luck?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. I know that "phono" light shouldn't be on. I hate these things.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's something completely stupid I'm convinced
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Perhaps, I see more failures than quick fixes honestly. Anyhow can you find a phono button on either the front of back of the remote?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there's a phono button
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
There's a phono button on the back as well as a main zone in and off. The small phono is what zone 2 is set to, and the CD is what the main zone is set to. Try shutting all of the zones off then just turn the main zone on.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.
Okay I'm out of ideas and will need to opt out at this point.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got it, mybidiot friend switched the wiring. Thanks for the help.