Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Bose 321 home theater DVD system for around 9

Customer Question

I have a Bose 321 home theater DVD system for around 9 years. Just changed from direct tv to dish less than year ago. The issue only started when I switched satellite providers. When I change channels,rewind or fast forward I loose sound. To get sound back I switch molds on Bose from cable to tv back to cable and sound comes back. Sometimes I have to do it twice. Sometimes I can change change channels ,rewind or fast forward and not loose sound. Even while doing dvr recordings does sameway. It's a lot of hassle to to switch molds while watching tv. Dish said it's my Bose. I have made sure all connections are good to to the best of my ability and dish installers as well. So maybe I need it tested by a professional to get this fixed. It's a really nice system even if DVD player works on some dvds. So what's my options?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, This would indicate a software glitched between the Bose and the DISH box. In many cases, it is the DISH box software that causes this glitch (since the commercials changing to programming and vise versa, are all processed within the DISH box). This can sometimes be solved by changing the type/method of connections, so can you please elaborate what cabling is connecting the DISH box to the Bose (Optical, RCA analog, etc.)?

Also have you tried a power reset of everything by unplugging the DISH and Bose power cords for 5 minutes, then plugging back in? If not, give that a shot and if the issue persists please elborate on the cabling used and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Optical is cabling. Reset ,unplugged turned off,etc. Tryed it all. Right now I'm re painting my house and its not set up so when I'm done I will try a new optical cable. If that doesn't work I'm calling dish and have a new receiver put in. If you think of anything else email me and I will stay in touch with what I'm doing. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Those are all the steps you can try. You already know the old DTV receiver worked fine. so the variable here is the DISH receiver. A new optical cable is the only user level correction you can try, and the hint here is that the commercials and channels are all processed withing the DISH Box. The Bose has no way of knowing if a channel or commercial is being played- it's simply playing back the signal being sent to it.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.