Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Some of my CD's won't play. It's about 10 years old. The

Customer Question

Some of my CD's won't play.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: It's about 10 years old. The Acoustic Wave system model CD-6000
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Actually we've had this problem for several years. Nothing unusual happened prior to the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It just is particular about which CD's it plays. Even some brand new ones will not play. We have a CD changer that gave us some trouble and we have not used it for about five years. It would be great to know where to take it to get it fixed -
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Are these store bought discs, or are they recorded discs that won't play?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Store bought
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Ok, that shouldn't be happening. Store bought CDs are the ones that are compatible with every player, so we've ruled out the disc type.

There is one thing you can do to try to remedy it yourself, use a store bought CD lens cleaner. Follow the instructions on the package to clean your lens. This isn't always the answer, especially on that particular radio.

The very best way to go about this is to send it to Bose. They charge a flat rate for their repair, and it's usually around $100. You'll need to call them to get an RA number and shipping instructions, but they take very good care of their customers. Call 1-***-***-**** to get the repair started.

There are other Bose repair facilities, but they are not as reliable, and can be more expensive than Bose repair.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But isn't the shipping expensive? Is there somewhere we can take it to have it fixed? Are there still places that do that sort of thing?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I understand your concern. With Bose, they like to keep their patents and schematics to themselves, making third party repairs pretty risky. You want to keep genuine Bose parts as well, which aren't available to us techs.

Give them a call first, and if the shipping is too expensive, tell me your zip code and I'll find you a third party repair person.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our zip is 42642. But a Lexington KY repair place would work fine for us Now can you tell me what I just paid $36 for and will it be a recurring charge?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

I am not seeing that you are a subscriber, so it doesn't appear to be a recurring charge. The money you paid is for my time, advice and expertise. This was explained in the contract before you entered your payment information. It is a one time charge. Here are a couple of shops that may take on the work. Tell them there is a problem with the laser eye. I strongly caution you, there may be a problem with the IC to the laser, which can only be repaired by Bose.

The best one I found is in Nicholasville, Doc's Electronics Service Center. 1-***-***-****.

Here is your local shop:

Qwik-Tek

979 W Steve Wariner Dr

Russell Springs, KY 42642

(###) ###-####/p>

Be sure to call first, some shops are picky on what they will work on.