Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

Scratchy volume pot ... need a local repair recomendation,

Customer Question

scratchy volume pot ... need a local repair recomendation
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: kenwood ka 9100 fairly old , lol
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just started getting scratchy and dropping a channel left or right when adjusted ... tried the thing where you rotate the control up and down rapidly several times
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.

Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .

Expert:  Jack replied 7 months ago.

Here is your answer once you see this.

What you have are dirty /oxidized contact and you will need contact cleaner or a more common household item like WD40 and a straw to connect to the can as you will need to go in tight spots .

The best way of doing is is to remove the top cover and on the POTS (controls) you will see small opening where you can shoot your contact clear while you play with them all the way up/down and note that depending on the severity of the contamination it may take more than one pass .

The switches/selectors themselves can be done from the front (or inside)

Here is a link to show you some contact cleaner from radio shack ; https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-control-contact-cleaner-and-lubricant?variant=20331824261

If you`re going to use WD40 though ,go sparingly or your amp will smell like a garage for weeks .

Also , here is the service manual that may come in handy some day , click the link below;

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you