Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

This question is for LouieI can wait. I have the following

Customer Question

This question is for LouieCustomerI can wait. I have the following questions below regarding the amp.- Please explain the signal flow.- If the amp is constantly popping what would be cause and remedy?- If no power what would be the cause and remedy?- If no woofer output from the amp what would be the cause and remedy?- If no tweeter output from the amp what would be the cause and remedy?- What other symptoms do amps generally have and what are the fixes?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi Johnny and welcome back. I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with me as I compose my reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure no problem thanks. Take your time.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Thanks.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Appreciate your patience Johnny.

Based on the board picture, it would appear to be not so simple monitor speaker as the layout would suggest that:

• • IC21 would most likely be a DSP (digital signal processor) and works with the Input Sensitivity & Volume controls;
  • • IC27 an active crossover + tone controls with the LF & HF TRIMs; and
  • • IC underneath the rectangular heat sink would be a 3-channel power amp where:
  • - 1 channel for the tweeter; and
  • - 2-channels forming a bridge for the woofer.

On:

• - Please explain the signal flow. - see above;
  • - If the amp is constantly popping what would be cause and remedy? - potential fault in the power supply (least likely), muting circuit (likely), speaker (most likely);
  • - If no power what would be the cause and remedy? - failed fuse F901, open thermistor, auto-protect is kicking off PC95(?) remedy would be faulty part replacement;
  • - If no woofer output from the amp what would be the cause and remedy? - blown amp IC and/or woofer voice coil replace;
  • - If no tweeter output from the amp what would be the cause and remedy? - blown amp IC and/or tweeter voice coil replace.