Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

My Denon SC-N8 has turned off with no power light. I moved

Customer Question

My Denon SC-N8 has turned off with no power light. I moved it to another plug and it worked okay but have now moved it back to original plug where there is a light that is work (so it is not the plug) and it won't work again. Sounds odd but have since moved it back to second plug and no light at all so not sure what is going on
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Just says SC-N8 with remote RC 1174 and it is 2 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turned it off when I went to bed and then the next morning it wouldn't work
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but is there a 'sleep' mode?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the SC-N8 are speakers. Determine and re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the amplifier / receiver that powers these speakers.

Still, is the amp / receiver that powers the SC-N8 completely / electrically dead now? ...plugged in into any known to be good outlet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your reply. All my model says is Denon Ceol. Yes the Denon is completely dead. Initially it was in a 4 switchboard and everything else is working. Have moved it to another plug and have tried a mixer in this plug which works but the Denon is electrically dead. Have attached some photos of the model. The power button does not light up. Photos attached. Many thanks Clare
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Appreciate the post back and pictures Clare.

Please check the back of the receiver. It would have a name plate with the model number; something like an RCD-N8.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry didn't think of that before. RCD-N8 Is that what you are after?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Yes; thanks.

And it would appear to be an internal hardware issue.

I reviewed the repair / Service Manual (not the Owner's Manual) and there is a 4A fuse labeled F801 inside that may have blown (most likely). It is also possible (likely) for the thermal fuse (TH801) to have failed and/or any of the standby / power supply circuit components (least likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No wouldn't consider doing it myself. What is the warranty on these models do you know? Do you know who is the service agent for this model in Auckland New Zealand?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

The standard warranty would be for 12 months on parts and service.

The only listing for New Zealand would be:

• B&W Loudspeakers (NZ) Ltd.
  • P.O. Box 22-049,***** Christchurch, New Zealand
  • Tel.:+64-3-366 0166 Fax:+64-3-366 7853
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Great!

Glad that the above information may serve your purpose.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to share the information.