Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

DENON AVR-S920W how to connect from a SpeakerCraft Speer

Customer Question

DENON AVR-S920W how to connect from a SpeakerCraft Speer sitter already built in home
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The SpeakerCraft was in the home when I bought it...it was connected to a DENON device from what I was told ..it had a zone 2setup on the old device ...this one does not. I have a home theater area and another room that is for entertainment with its own set of speakers through the SpeakerCraft...how do I set it up with this model?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi Chet and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...SpeakerCraft Speer sitter..." Additionally, please describe how the AVR-S920W is connected to this SpeakerCraft product(s).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Louie-It was suppose to SpeakerCraft Speaker System....I just need to know how to hook the SpeakerCraft to the AVR-S920w
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

If it is an independent speaker system, then it would preferably wired likewise as FRONT R & L speakers. However, it may need a switcher box.

Would you be comfortable with this approach ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No the system was set up through the back of the DENON it has one audio cable (Red) in from the SpeakerCraft and a HDMI coming from the wall.... where do the HDMI and the Audio cable get plugged into the AVR-S920w?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The HDMI Cable come from the Wall Conneneted through the SpeakerCraft
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only need to know where those two get connected
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

The AVR-S920w does not have audio output that can work with "...audio cable (Red) in from the SpeakerCraft and a HDMI ...".

This model has only audio output from its SUBWOOFER PREOUT and the speaker terminals.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do you suggest as those are the only two Cables I have to connect?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The audio cable must then connect to the subwoofer 1
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cable from the wall must be something else that was set up
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unless I set the HDMI to an auxiliary setting
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

The SUBWOOFER PREOUT can not be used since its output would only be the BASS / low frequency.

Which leaves us no choice but to attempt as posted above, "...wired likewise as FRONT R & L speakers..."

First, any model number of the SpeakerCraft?

How do you turn it on/off? ...once turned on, is there a thump and/or humming sound when the "...audio cable (Red) in from the SpeakerCraft ..." is touched?

What exactly please is this "...audio cable (Red)..."? ...does it have a connector? ...or a plug?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A red audio plug
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
SpeakerCraft bass power 250
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

RCA plug? Or better yet, a clear picture please; click HERE.

How is the SpeakerCraft Speaker System turned on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
S4vc multi room speaker selector
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

The SpeakerCraft bass power 250 is a MONO amplifier primarily for use with subwoofers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Plugged into power strip from connection inside wall
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

The SpeakerCraft - S4VC Multiroom Speaker Selector IS a switcher box.

Please re-confirm that the other connection is a "...HDMI coming from the wall..."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you suggest and how do We do it?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Let's step back and check / review the basics.

Have you tried the ".once turned on, is there a thump and/or humming sound when the "...audio cable (Red) in from the SpeakerCraft ..." is touched?"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

And there is a thump / humming sound?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Very loud
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

If yes, connect this "... red audio plug..." to the DDenon's PRE OUT SUBWOOFER 1.

Reduce the Denon's volume and set it to an FM music station. Test if there would be sound from the Denon's own speakers and from the SpeakerCraft subwoofer/speaker.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only from the speakers in the theater area
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

If none from the SpeakerCraft subwoofer/speaker., then please check/ensure that the Denon's Subwoofer setting is set to On and Subwoofer Mode is set for "LEF+Main". Also verify that all other speakers of the Denon are set to "Small".

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will do
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only working from theater speakers even though a green light is on the SpeakerCraft
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing from SpeakerCraft
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Please re-confirm....

• remove the SpeakerCraft's red (RCA?) audio plug from the PRE OUT SUBWOOFER 1 jack of the Denon;
  • with the SpeakerCraft turned on, was there a thump/humming sound from SpeakerCraft's speakers when removing this plug?
  • when the tip of this plug is touched?
  • when plugging back in?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when removing plug there is humming, Yes when touching the plug after unplugged there is humming ..when I go to plug it in no sound
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Kindly consider / perform a RESET of the Denon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All do
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Sorry; "...All do..." RESET done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to reset everything....let me get back with you later. Thanks for you're help
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Yes please, when able.

Incidentally, the User's Manual shows a full reset back to factory settings on p. 239.