Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My bose system was working fine, then nothing. no cbl-sat,

Customer Question

my bose system was working fine, then nothing. no cbl-sat, am/fm, no cd. there is absolutely no sound. the cbl-sat shows no video signal. have never had a problem in the past; work flawlessly. I got out the manual and had no success to and include powering down the entire system. I am not a happy camper right now! Any suggestions? I am illiterate when it comes to dealing with these issues and the maze of wires for the cable box and the Bose system is overwhelming.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: it is a Bose Lifestyle home entertainment system and approximately 10 years old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing happened. I was watching U of O vs. U of W football game and in the kitchen in. Checked connections on back of control bad and unplugged all power to cbl box and Bose system
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you know which model bose you have? There are several models and series of lifestyle systems.

Is there anything on the bose showing (lights, display, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no idea what the model is. All I know is that it is a Lifestyle II Home Entertainment system. All seems to work except the audio.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; for an estimated 10 year old system that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is now at least double the service life it was designed for.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the main unit, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repairs, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $600 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though for most of these older models parts are no longer available.

For a system of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new and better quality AV receiver, dvd player, and sub with a fresh warranty in the $500 range and use it with your existing speakers in most cases.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with repair options, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?