Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The bose system has no sound, it is a bose and about 12

Customer Question

the bose system has no sound
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: it is a bose and about 12 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: we have done something to make it stop
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have unplugged the system
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Please tell me what model Bose you're referring to here - they make many different systems.

Also, what is connected to the Bose (TV, cable box, DVD, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Direct TV and TV model PS48
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. So this system has a built in DVD player as well as can receive sound from DirecTv and the TV.

Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the SAT box (DirecTv box) from power (unplug its power cord).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Plug the DTV box back in and give it a minute or so to reboot.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as the DVD player in the Bose and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the Bose, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Please send a reply back with the results once you try that reboot.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please keep in mind rating me does not close the question in any way- it simply ensures I am paid for my time spent trying to help you. You can follow up at any time at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i will but nothing has sound
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Please clarify, I'm not there to see/hear what you do. Did you try the Bose built in DVD player please?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Does the Bose DVD player have sound? I stated above that testing that tells us whether the Bose has a failure or the DirecTv box is the root cause. Let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have tried CD Radio and TV and nothing has sound
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

That means the Bose has failed, there are no settings on the Bose that will cause it to lose sound on all sources.

Please unplug the Bose from power, then disconnect and reconnect the umbilical cable between the main unit and the subwoofer making sure it's secure. Plug the Bose back in and power it up. Check once more for sound.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried everything you said and still does not work
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay, all I can provide are the steps on a user level you can take to correct this. Beyond that, you're looking at hardware failure, which is not uncommon in the 10-12 year range. The last ditch effort to get the Bose to reset is to leave it completely unplugged from power for 60 minutes or more in the hopes the processor resets. Beyond this, the system does require repairs in order to function properly again (with sound).

In this case you would need to contact Bose Service, as they are the only ones that repair their systems:
BOSE:
For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.
For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?