Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

My Bose 321 system AUX volume is not working. Radio and DVD

Customer Question

My Bose 321 system AUX volume is not working. Radio and DVD volume does work. We had a short power outage and after the reset by unplugging and plugging in after several minutes the AUX does not work.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Bose / Model PS3-2-1 - AVIS SN# ***** Approx 15 years old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: As I mentioned we had a short power out. I read on line to unplug for at least a minute and then plug in the power cord.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Call my cell please.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, do not call me, but I do not see a response to my question???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there Nathan?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Yes I am here, please try to send just a single reply though and give me a moment to get it and respond.

We can do the call if you like, or continue here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me what device you have connected to the aux port.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Samsung TV, I unplugged all of the connections and plugged them back in, but not change in AUX volume.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

So are you getting no sound from the tv through the bose at all? Or you hear something but can't adjust it?
What specific cords are you using for aux? Optical or red/white?
Any sound from the samsung tv speakers?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Correct no sound to the TV from the BOSE.
Red / white cords
Yes the TV speakers are working correctly.The bose speakers work when you change to radio.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay so can you go into the tv settings menu and turn off the tv speakers (or set to external/theater) and if you see a setting as well for variable or fixed, put it on fixed and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Working on it. Stand by
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tv external speaker is checked. Proportion to the power surge the tv setting was checked we just turned the tv volume down. I do not see how to uncheck the tv speaker
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

You don't necessarily need to turn it off, I just want to make sure the external is enabled.

Can you switch over to an optical (fiber optic) connection instead of the red/white?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not know what you are describing. What is this cable and what does it look like ?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Look on the back of the tv for the Digital Audio Out port, it is a little square port with a red light in side.
It uses this type of cord: http://amzn.to/2dwes1g

This is actually the preferred method of connection anyway and will give better sound, the red/white often won't even work at all in many cases. I want to switch to this because the problem may be damage to either the analog aux inputs on the bose or to the output on the tv.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have this cable so I will purchase one and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still on line?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

OKay, you can order it via the link online, or pick one up at best buy.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Just bookmark this page and you can get back in touch with me once you have the cord.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I purchased the digital audio cable and plugged it into the Bose and to the TV ports but the AUX audio still does not work. What now?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Did you change the input on the bose? You need to actually set it to the Optical (DIG) input mode instead of aux, aux is specifically the red/white ports.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

It may not actually be linked to anything yet, it depends how your system was set up,

so go into the bose settings menu, under Media Center, then Optical Source, and set that to AUX, then you can use it on Aux mode.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do you do that other tha plugging in the cables?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

You need to go into the menu and change that setting as I explained above

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The remote when I push settings gives me an option to see TV but I do not see any instructions.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will call Bose in the morning, but thanks for trying. Probably not you but me not understanding.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This would be done on the BOSE remote, do you have a menu button instead of settings?