Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming

YouTube video will usually be either 126 kbps AAC in an MP4

Customer Question

quot;YouTube video will usually be either 126 kbps AAC in an MP4 container or 155-165 kbps Opus in a WebM container".
Is this high enough quality that I will notice an improvement if I switch to audiophile monitor speakers?
(my receiver is so let me know your thoughts on that in relation to this too)
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

The container transmission speed will not impact on the quality of the sound produced by the speakers.

Your computer or other device will download the content from YouTube, and process the video and audio data.

If you then choose to listen to that audio data through Audiophile monitor speakers you will notice a significant and pleasant improvement in sound.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
two things about the response are not quite making sense to me:
1. if the audio resolution is only say 26 kbps, then it will sound bad, and better speakers can't make it sound any better; so how would better speakers make youtube sound better?
2. if the audio resolution isn't that great, then monitor speakers (be design) would reveal more of the imperfections, yes?
Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

There is no such thing as audio resolution - you will always get the same audio signal no matter what the speed; how you listen to that audio signal after it has been processed is what makes it sound better.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

Listening to a poor audio bitrate with high quality speakers may make you more aware of some of the imperfections, however this can be corrected by adjusting the audio level settings to "tune out" the imperfections.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Sorry, you are absolutely wrong. Resolution is exactly what bitrate is.
And 126kbps is low resolution.
Please pass this to an expert that knows this field.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

Bitrate is measured in kbps - BITS per second

Resolution is measured in fps - FRAMES per second

Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

The resolution does not affect the bitrate, which can affect the quality of the audio signal.

Perhaps you are referring to a fps rate?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am referring to kbps.
This is the resolution of the audio signal.
Please pass this to an expert who knows this field.
This is very basic level knowledge.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 26 days ago.

Ok I am opting out of this one, as resolution is not measured in BITS.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
it is.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

Hi. To get you a reference, an Audio CD give 176.4 Kbit/s (but there is no compression). I don't think you will see much difference. It may even sound worst for bass as you will notice a bit more the compression artefact (those create a hiss, metalic sound or faint seagull).

If you want a nice simulation of how better itmight get, try with headphones and see the added details in the sound you persive, you will perhaps get half of that increase with the best speakers.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
the information you gave is totally wrong.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
or maybe it's just not clear.
human ear can not detect improvement in bit rate over the 160 mark.
so in this case, with signal under 160, you are saying different qualitiy speakers will show a difference in listening experience.
ok.. and are you saying the high quality speakers will make it sound better, or worse because it reveals the lacking bitrate?
Expert:  Martin replied 26 days ago.

OK, i will try to be clearer. Each processing thing on a path that is not numerical will degrade the information. When you output the computer and need to get into the air you have to fall into the analog world. At that point and knowing any speaker will degrade the signal, some speaker degrade it less than others.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

MODERATOR, please close this question. Thank You.