Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a ACS 340 powered subwoofer that has ceased

Customer Question

I have a ACS 340 powered subwoofer that has ceased operation. I wonder if an IC or cap has been damaged. We had a lightning storm last night and it was working prior to that event.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: ACS340, DS/N CN-08506P-47770-OCJ-NFOQ alt-1
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just the lightning storm last night. I have checked the AC powersupply. It is ok. The Green LED on the right speaker lights and the unit gives me the standard "woof" when powered up or down. I have disassembled the unit and removed the PC board. There is no apparent damage to components or either side of PC.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A power surge can damage some part of an electronic device quite severely.

In this case, I'm not sure what was damaged, but something in the audio amplifier is at fault, if audio signals are not being amplified.

Was it powered through a surge protector?

If not, the damage may be anywhere altogether.

But if sound is not being produced by speakers hooked up to it, when sound input is definitely being input to it, then the best way to tell where that is breaking down, is to measure the signal strength along the signal path, and see where it ceases to amplify... or even, where it ceases altogether. That stage of amplification is where the problem , or the greatest problem at least, is likely to be found.

(An oscilloscope and a schematic and/or troubleshooting tables are ideal for this, but you may not have these, I am aware.)

Let me know if I can advise you further, in any possible direction for solution of this problem.