Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I have a 1080VR surround receiver. just moved last week and

Customer Question

I have a 1080VR surround receiver. just moved last week and plugged it in and the unit goes from standby to on to standby mode.I should add that the unit is 20yrs old and I taught my new wife to manually use the power on/off button rather than use the remote but its like the unit is shorting out. John B.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

This can happen if the speaker wires cross, or if there is a short in the amp circuit. To determine which one has the fault, disconnect the speaker wires from the back, and see if it goes back into standby. If not, you're in luck. Just make sure the speaker connections are clean, and that no stray strands of wire are touching across terminals.

If it goes back into standby without the speakers connected, that is an internal fault, and it will be cheaper to replace than to have it repaired.