Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Check sp wire blinks and goes off unit never powers on all

Customer Question

check sp wire blinks and goes off unit never powers on all the way
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: started about a couple weeks ago, I've unhooked everything and had it powered off for 2 weeks or better, decided to power it on today and condition still exists
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried the hair dryer fix but that was bogus
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that would be awesome
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

Brand and Model of the receiver please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Onkyo TX-NR609
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Check speaker wires means you have a shorted speaker wire, shorted speaker or shorted output transistors inside of the receiver. Unplug the receiver and remove ALL speaker wires from the back of the unit. Plug only the power cord back in and let me know if you can get the receiver to stay on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing is currently hooked up no wires connected
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no receiver will not stay on
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you have that message with no speaker wires connected then you have shorted output transistors in the Onkyo which requires replacement of the Mainboard or component level replacement of the output transistors. There are no quick fixes for this beyond hardware replacement. Was this something you're looking to repair yourself, or were you looking to see what causes the issue and how much it would cost at a shop to fix it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well that is bad news, cause the closest repair is in New York and I live in Ohio
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks for you help I need get with Onkyo and see about recall or warranty repair
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and yes in about 90% of the cases the receiver needs to be shipped in order to have it repaired from the factory service guys. You see the Ch Spkr Wire message simply monitors the output stage. Anything causing a short there (bad speaker, shorted speaker wire, or shorted transistors internally) will generate that message. Since you still get it with no speakers connected it means the output stage itself is shorted, and Onkyo would be the only ones that would tackle this repair. How old is the receiver?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Not sure if you're still with me, but if you're looking to call Onkyo directly about this, they can be reached at the link below:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.