Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

I have a new Bose soundlink adapter since old one didn't

Customer Question

I have a new Bose soundlink adapter since old one didn't work and suggested a new one. The new one is plugged in and still unable to connect from laptop through to bose wave system. The aux button appears but that's it. no way to connect music through system. can you help?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: we noticed a few weeks ago. We got new one the other day and still unable to work. The cd player and radio on Bose do play. Just can't seem to connect from the Soundlink
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: plugging and unplugging. I just made certain to add the device to my laptop and it is there. Now I don't even know how to operate it from laptop to Bose to listen to cd in laptop or a memory stick.
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I was able to see on the Bose Wave when the Soundlink adapter was plugged in so I could select computer option on the Bose system. No such info comes up now. even with new adapter.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the Bose Wave system that the SoundLink is supposed to be connecting to?

Is the replacement SoundLink adapter the same model as the old one it is replacing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The BoseWave is about 8-10 yrs old. Haven't used it previousy for 2 yrs and the old one worked then. Bose said it was probably old and we bought a new one through them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really can't spend much more on this. Can we perhaps walk through this on line?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The soundlink is the same as the previous one.

Please clarify: The SoundLink adapter is new, and a replacement?

But the Bose Wave is 8-10 years old and has not been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything works on the bose system--radio and cd player
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just can't connect from the soundlink adapter on laptop to Bose now to play musice from laptop onto the bose
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have both the old soundlink and the new one. neither works. Am I not connecting from the laptop correctly since it's now Microsoft 10

Then I think the wireless link-up facility on your old Bose Wave system is at fault. It is (presumably) Bluetooth technology, it no longer registers either the old or the new SoundLink adapter as being present and 'sensed' as present, and the SoundLink adapter is recognized by the computer as a fully working and OK device.

That leaves nothing (since the rest of the Bose Wave system is obviously fine, too) but the wireless facility in the Bose Wave, which is evidently defective. And at 8-10 years old, small wonder if it has suffered that much of a failure to operate.

I'm sorry to come to this conclusion, but it seems to be pointed to by all the facts. What do you think?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the system wireless can go just like that? Do you know if the Bose would be repairable to have this work again?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in other words, it's not going to work unless I get a new Bose system?

Bose can do repair work on it, yes. But at 8-10 years, it may break in other ways soon after. 8-10 years is a good working lifetime for an electronic device these days, when a few will be defective straight from the store, and some will fail within one or two years.

You could replace the Bose Wave, also.

(Oh, one thing: make sure there is no source of radio wave interference nearby. A new cordless phone? a new device with an electric motor in it? those could doubtfully interfere with wireless reception and connection.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Thank you for responding so quickly to my questions. Have a nice day.