Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have a 50 inch kenmore full led tv, cable company says if tv

Customer Question

Have a 50 inch kenmore full led tv, cable company says if tv has built in QAM digital tuner no other equip needed. Set tv to 88-4 ( according to there website) went auto scan and only locked in 2 channels other channels black. Tv is on cable in menu section
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) What is the full model number off of the back of the set?

2) Whom is your cable provider and is your cable subscription active?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need assistance with the question you posted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Model 348.71385610-50, Wyandotte cable, Michigan
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

That's not the model number. The model number will say "Model" and be on a sticker on the back of the TV. I also asked if you have an "Active" cable subscription- meaning you are currently paying a bill?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we subscribe to Wyandotte cable Michigan and it is active. Model no.348.71385610 that is only sticker with model on it.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. That is an off brand set, meaning even though Kenmore is a big name, they only made TV's for a very very short period of time and there is no information available on this set. However, what the most likely cause of this issue is, is that your cable provider requires a box to convert their signal- this is the manner all current cable providers are going as they send ultra-HD signals now and a standard TV tuner cannot decode this without a box outfitted by the cable provider. The same is true in my own neighborhood on my new LG, Vizio and Toshiba sets- all are within 2 years old and all require a box since our cable provider changed their signal. I would suggest contacting Wyandotte and inquiring as to whether a converter box is needed for their signal.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?