Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Have Bose model 5 Life style system and all sound stopped.

Customer Question

Good evening. Have Bose model 5 Life style system and all sound stopped. No CD, AM/FM etc. cd unit has power and can move between sound sources, but no sound. ???
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you open subwoofer?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

That subwoofer is a sealed system, it is not designed to be opened, and there are no user serviceable parts inside.

The symptom does indicate a faulty power supply or amplifier circuitry in the acoustimass module.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 1995 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This system is at about 4 times its designed service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these systems are generally not feasible. You would be better off replacing the entire system at this point, but there are some repair options available.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.