Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

Can I scroll down without a remote on my Denon 557 DVD?

Customer Question

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you please text me the answer to(###) ###-####instead of sending it in an e-mail please?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help, Paula.

You can skip tracks/chapters using the << and >> buttons on the front panel. Depending on the title, that may allow you to scroll as well, but for most content it will not suffice.

The remote is necessary for most any function other than eject, play, and stop.

I can try to help you find a replacement remote, if you'd like, but considering the age of the player it is probably not worth the investment. You could buy a brand new player in the $30 range, which is about the same you'd spend on a remote.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Waste of money
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Refund me
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry I cannot provide you an answer that you wanted to hear, but it is accurate to your system. I cannot make it perform a function for which it was not designed.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The technician answered my question, but it definitely was not worth $18. That's half the money for a new DVD player. The answer was worth $5 only. The technician was fine
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

If looking for a new player, here are some options I'd suggest (available on amazon): for a standard player

or for just a little more, you can upgrade to a bluray model which will still play your regular discs, but also give you some "smart" functions like access to netflix too:

Have a nice day,