Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I have a Sony stereo, model HCD-D790, Serial # 9142170 with

Customer Question

I have a Sony stereo, model HCD-D790, Serial #(###) ###-####with speakers SS-D7900. I had a power surge in my homedue to failure of FL Power and Lights' Equipment. Most of my small appliances were fried. I can not get my stereo to power up now. I need a value on the stereo and speakers for FPL insurance. Also is there a repairman in Sarasota or Bradenton, FL that could look at the stereo and see if it can be repaired?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This is a very old system, realistically its current value is negligible. It is far past its service life (many times over at this point) and has really no residual value, and would not be expected to still be functional at this point given the age.

Systems like this are no longer made, tape players are impossible to find, and even cd systems are difficult to come by anymore.

For replacement value however, to buy a new system that would be most comparable in type (a shelf stereo system with integrated receiver/amplifier, tuner, and cd player) with speakers, you'd be in the $200 range.

Here is a replacement I would recommend:

Repairs would not be feasible, there are no parts available for these systems, and the cost of labor alone would exceed the replacement value of the system.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?