Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I own and love SC-HT820v however it stopped working. I get a

Customer Question

I own and love SC-HT820v however it stopped working. I get a F6 error and the unit turns off. Help!
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) How old is the Panasonic (roughly) and when did the issue occur?

2) Were there any storms, power outages, etc. just prior to this occurring?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I purchased this around 2005.
No, there was no storm or power outage prior to problem.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the F6 (or in some cases F76) indicates a hardware failure in the Panasonic. That code monitors the power supply circuit in the system. More specifically there are capacitors and a voltage regulator that are prone to failing with age and will prevent the system from booting up. This is very common with these units as they get on in age- and 11 years is a good run for them. If you want to fix the unit, it will need to be repaired by a tech (these components are soldered onto the power supply PCB) and the average cost is in the $150-$175 range. Given the cost of repairs versus replacement, it generally makes more sense to replace the system versus repairing it.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you would like to inquire about repairs, or would like a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?