Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a defective CA6.4i with cat 5 zone connectors. A

Customer Question

I have a defective CA6.4i with cat 5 zone connectors. A friend gave me an older CA6.4i that has hardwired zone connectors. Is there an adapter to connect CAT 5 to the older hardwired connector?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) "I have a defective CA6.4i with cat 5 zone connectors. A friend gave me an older CA6.4i that has hardwired zone connectors." Cat 5 IS a hard-wired connection from the zone controllers to the main controller. So, I'm not sure what you're asking.

2) You mentioned the same model number in both instances- saying you have a defective CA6.4i and a friends gave you a CA6.4i. If that were the case, the connections would be identical.

Please elaborate with as much detail as possible so we can sort this.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

As an aside, All Russound systems use Cat5 cabling from the main controller amp to the wall controls. That is the standard with all distributed multi-zone systems. Are you simply asking if it's an easy swap, or is there a specific issue you're running into?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the older CA6.4i is hardwired to a horizontal zone pugin where the existing unit has Cat 5 plugin connectors both units have the model number on the front of CA6.4i
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay, can you find a model number for the horizontal zone plug-in please, as that is not specific enough for me to reference?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
forget it
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Additionally, if you have two of the same controller amps (CA6.4i) then they will swap out for each other using the exact same connections. I'm not sure where you're having problems on this exactly.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

The amps are the same model number, and as such they will have the same connections.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Simply swap the wiring to the new amp in exactly the same terminals as the old amp- it is plug and play.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.