Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

My cable TV picture became static-ridden a week ago. It is

Customer Question

My cable TV picture became static-ridden a week ago. It is fed through a Pioneer VSX-823-K AV receiver. The static appears on the cable TV signal coming through the SAT/CBL input. When the receiver is by-passed there is no static.However, the signal (both streaming TV and DVD) from my Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray player coming through the BD input on the AV receiver is static free. I've switched cables with no effect.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried swapping the cable box and the Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray player ? i.e. cable box to the BD HDMI port and Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray player to the SAT/CBL

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've swapped cables. I get the same faulty image from the cable box when it's connected through the BD input.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

A review:

• checked/switched cables;
  • swapped ports;
  • static free with direct connections;
  • presumably was working good before a week ago.

Offhand, a possibility would be anything "new" added within a week ago. This could be any electronic device that may be radiating interference (RFI) such as (but not limited to) wireless phone, WiFi devices, alarms, electronic lamp ballasts, LAN connected devices or even a new TV or others of the likes.

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • relocate the cable box and how its HDMI is routed;
  • • use a different source of power/outlet;
  • • switch Off/unplug electrical/electronic devices within the area one-at a-time while observing the static/display;
  • • re-check the coaxial cable input connector.