Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Magnavox FW320C mini fi system and the CD player

Customer Question

I have a Magnavox FW320C mini hifi system and the CD player does not play. An noticing in people's comments that CD lens could need cleaning. Where do I find the CD lens.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I don't know. I just got this somewhere. Thought I'd give it a shot at trying to fix it because everything else works really great.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: In looking at the manual I have there isn't a lot of trouble shooting that can be done.
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).

I would suggest first following the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.

You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.

If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers). Open the CD cover, then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.

If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself. To do this you must remove the entire top cover of the case, and then the laser lens is located underneath the rotating platter that the discs rotate on. You will only be able to see the lens by manually rotating the platter and looking for a shiny refelctive "eye" that resides underneath where the disc that is playing will spin. If you run into problems finding it after removing the case- postback with a photo and we can proceed.

Use 80% rubbing alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "laser lens". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to gently buff the lens clean.

If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced- which is on average a $200 repair, which is not typically cost effective.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.