Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.

I have a Kenwood VR-307 A/V surround receiver. I have a turn

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood VR-307 A/V surround receiver. I have a turn table and tape player which work fine. However, Sony CD players (I have two) which worked fine before I moved the system will not produce any sound. I know the connections are correct, they are simple enough, any idea why I can't get any sound out of either CD player?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Is it plugged into the CD input? Try another input, and tell me if you can get any sound. You can plug into anything other than phono.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Give me a few minutes to switch input sources and I'll let uKnow the results.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

I'm standing by.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried all the video jacks, the tape deck jacks, nothing produces any sound.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Try the one that says MD TAPE PLAY IN. If that one doesn't work, you may have two bad CD players.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I set up the system at the other house everything worked fine, but I'll try what you suggested. give me a minute
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no luck, as a matter of fact I had already tried those jacks. Do you really think both CD players would go bad at the same time ? They were well packed and I''m sure the carton was not dropped. The phono andd tape decks work fine
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Are you certain the CD is playing when you test them? Disconnect the jacks from the CD player, and touch the ends. Do you hear a buzz from the speakers?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
IF I buy a new CD player and it still does not produce sound, what do we do then?"
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could the CD jack on the Kenwood have gone bad?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

I'll tell you what, let's give it another test before I send you off to buy a new player. I'm skeptical since both aren't working. Plug one into where your tape player is plugged in now. Does that produce sound?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that worked. But won't I have to switch the cables back and forth depending on which device I want to use, CD or Tape?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Ok, well we found the problem. Certain inputs on your receiver have gone out. There is a simple solution that you can use to continue using all of your gear, without having to switch the wiring each time. Click here. You'll need two of these. Connect one to the white and one to the red of where your tape deck is connected. Connect the white from your CD and Tape to the one that is plugged into the white, and do the same for the red. This will combine the signal, and you'll get more use out of your receiver. These are called RCA male to dual female, and you can get them at any electronics store.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are u still there?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I am here. Did you get my response? Give me just a minute, I found something on that receiver that may be blocking the signal. We may not need those parts.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 months ago.

Plug your CD player into the CD input. Switch to the CD input. Now press the input mode button on the front of the receiver a few times, does that bring the sound back? It may have been switched to the digital input by mistake.