Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

HDMI output on my Pioneer VSX 53 is not out putting any

Customer Question

HDMI output on my Pioneer VSX 53 is not out putting any signal. Can't seem to get this to restart sending output. On line this issue has been reported as a problem with this model. Any ideas on how to solve this problem. I am about ready to throw this receiver out.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you getting audio via the hdmi inputs, or any inputs for that matter (fm, ipod, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I hook up an Ipod via a USB port I get sound. My HMG works just no sound or picture from HDMI outputs
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No audio out from HDMI inputs such as DVD player.Also no picture
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, Allan.

As you are likely already aware, this is a common problem with this model, which had some design and quality problems that manifest in a high failure rate of the hdmi/processing circuitry.

The one thing you can try is a microprocessor reset:

Power off, then while holding the enter button, power back on

It will show RESET NO on the amp display,

and you'll use the Preset <> buttons to highlight reset,

press enter so RESET ? shows, then enter again to confirm.

If still no change, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware fault, which again is a known issue, and not uncommon to see even just from normal age related wear and tear on these units. This is a 2012 model, so it is nearly at the end of its service life at this point anyway. This is something that would require significant repairs to correct, replacing the hdmi board, which will run you about $600+ in parts and labor. For an amp of this age and with this known fault (which would likely fail again even after repair), it isn't wirht the investment when you could get a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for the same price range.

The alternative to repair/replacement would be to keep the amp as-is, routing all your hdmi devices directly to the display, then using separate optical connections from the display (or each device) back to the pioneer for audio.

I can recommend a local repair shop, or help with replacement recommendations if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks I will try the reset.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, ,Allan?