Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

We have a Bose Lifestyle home theater system which has

Customer Question

We have a Bose Lifestyle home theater system which has started to have static on it. I called and understand that the replacement for this system would be a Lifestyle S touch 535. Now that I have looked at this at a store I realize that this new system is quite different from the one we have. Now we have almost 200 CDs stored on our system and I understand that is not something that the new systems do. So, my question is: can I have someone look at our present system to see if there is some way to fix it and/or is there some way to preserve the music we have stored?
Thanks for helping me with this.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does the static seem to come from all speakers, and all inputs/sources?
Do you still have the cds?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the static is on all devices: Bose TV etc. Yes I still have the CEDs.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I still have abut 90% of the cds.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Yes, the newer models are different, the new systems no longer have a hard drive, and generally don't even have an optical drive any longer. Optical/disc technology has been considered obsolete for many years, as everything has transitioned to digital storage and on demand services.

There are some other options for replacing your system. Honestly, I would not personally recommend another bose system. Their parts are highly proprietary and grossly overpriced for what you get. For a fraction of the cost you can get a better quality standalone AV receiver and subwoofer, and pair your existing bose speakers to it to avoid rewiring and mounting new speakers. The speakers you have are likely fine, the fault is in the main unit or acoustimass module.

As for your discs, I would recommend "ripping" them all on a computer to a mp3 format, then storing them digitally on a computer for remote/network access, on an ipod, etc which you can play back through a new receiver system.

I can give you recommendations on specifics, if you'd like.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks for this information.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you please give me reccommendations for what I need to replace the Bse system which would allow me to use the speakers for music, TV, VCR. I would also like to link with ourdoor speakers as well. thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, certainly.

Can you give me the model of your existing system, so I can verify what speakers you have currently?

What do you have for outdoor speakers?

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, John?