Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a similar issue with my Onkyo TX-NR828 where the

Customer Question

I have a similar issue with my Onkyo TX-NR828 where the sound takes a few minutes to come on when first starting up and then takes about 20 to 30 seconds to come back if I change channels or fast forward something. This problem has been intermittent over a period of time and sometimes seems to correct itself.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I have had the AVR for about two years and it has happened a few times in that period. But I have another issue that is more common and more irritating (I was about to go into that but I hit send by mistake). This Onkyo is connected to a Samsung TV and every now and again the system turns off and on taking about 30 seconds to return to normal. This happens completely randomly and may not happen for a few weeks and then suddenly happen 3 times in a movie. I have tried different HDMI cables but that makes no difference. I originally suspected the TV, but then bypassed the AVR and had no issues.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: The TV is a Samsung PS60F5500 and have only tried different HDMI cables, done firmware updates and connected direct from the PVR to the TV bypassing the Onkyo. What else can I do?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried? The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I just want the problem to go away thanks, ***** ***** very irritating.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  info tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

If you are bypassing the ONKYO then it puts the TV in the clear you have a problem with the receiver, now simplet things first have you tried rebooting the receiver?that is disconnecting it from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again?

If not please do that let me know the results

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not done that specifically, but I did have it unplugged for a day a few months ago (for decorating reasons) and the problem has happened both before and after this. Will this work as a reboot? Otherwise I will have to try that when I get home this evening.
If I need to do this how do I connect back to you later or tomorrow?

Just come directly back here if its still problematic we will move on with it

Anthony

Expert:  info tech replied 4 months ago.

How is this working out please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done a reset on the AVR (disconnecting it did nothing so I did a reset to factory settings). The sound delay issue seems to have gone but I don't know about the switching off and on issue yet. This is an intermittent problem and so I need to give it a few days to know if it is still there or not.

That's OK please let me know

Anthony