Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

Up until today my Bose radio worked just fine... I have it

Customer Question

Hi Pearl... up until today my Bose radio worked just fine... I have it hooked up to my computer. Now nothing works. I just changed the batteries; still it says "please wait". I cannot get the radio or the auxiliary (computer) to play. I'm not a technician, so I cannot open the board. Can you help me?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Couple of hours.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just changing the batteries in the remote.
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so... I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me the model of your bose?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nathan; I'm Judy... not Pearl. Thank you for getting back to me. My Bose is an acoustic Wave music system. The model number is:
Model # *****
Serial # *****
I have it hooked up to my HP Windows 7 computer; it has worked for years -- then all of a sudden it won't work. All of the items do not work: the computer hook up, the CD player (the CD just pops back out immediately after inserting it, and the radio does not work. All connections are plugged in securely, and I changed the batteries in the remove.
I get a message that says "please wait" then the display window just goes to black.
Apparently this is not an unusual problem, as there seem to be a lot of people asking for help with this.
My e-mail address: ***@******.*** . Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry about that, Judy. I was seeing pearl where you were addressing the chat assistant at first.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct. In that event your options will be to send it in direct to Bose for factory service (1-***-***-****) though this can be slow (long turnaround time) and expensive (they generally offer you a partial trade in towards a refurb model rather than actually repairing) This will typically be in the $300-400 range.

Or, as an alternative to the factory service is to contact the guys at MyBoseRepair ( who will generally be able to do a much quicker and cheaper repair service. They typically offer a flat rate repair of around $200.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?