Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Why won't my i phone link up with my boselinkmini?

Customer Question

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello Have you "searched for available devices" on your Phone, with the Bose MINI turned ON? If so, does the Phone "Detect" the Bose and show it as an available BlueTooth device?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but no connection
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay to trouble shoot we need specifics. One step at a time. So the Iphone DOES detect and show the Bose on the list of BT devices- Yes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay thank you.

Is the Bose brand new and is this the first time pairing it, or was it working before with this phone please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has always worked. This is a new oriblem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does this need to work off of ?wifi
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

No, Wi Fi and BlueTooth are two different things. Although Wi Fi can interfere with the BlueTooth pairing of the Bose.

Okay, we need to try to "Clear" the Bose and start from scratch.

Please shut the BT on your phone OFF, then reset the Bose as follows:

• Reset the speaker. Press the Mute button for ten seconds, until the indicators briefly flash. Your Bluetooth
device is disconnected and the SoundLink®
Mini speaker turns off. Press the Power button to turn the
speaker back on, and reconnect.

To clear the Bose®
Mini speaker memory
of all devices, press and hold the Bluetooth
button on the speaker (about 10 seconds) until
you hear a tone.
All Bluetooth devices are cleared from the Bose®
Mini speaker, and the Bose®
Mini speaker becomes discoverable.

Press the BlueTooth button ONCE on the Bose (making sure it's turned ON first) then turn the BlueTooth on your Iphone back on. Search for DEVICES on your phone, then once it finds the Bose, attempt to "PAIR".

NOTE: Make sure you are within a few feet of the Bose with No WiFi router between you and the Bose.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Didn't work.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry then, but you have a failure somewhere- most likely in the Bose then. You're going to need to dig deeper to determine whether your phone or the Bose are the root cause of the problem. First- HAVE you tried rebooting your Iphone yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bose on and blue light flashing in Bluetooth button
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Please read the above reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No...will turn off phone and try again
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did not work
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

We need to isolate whether the Bose MINI, or the Iphone are the "root cause" of the problem at this point. Without another source to test, we will not be able to determine what is causing it. That said- do you have another Smart phone you can try to "Pair" to the Bose?

Alternatively, do you have another BueTooth speaker you can use to "Pair" the Iphone to?

Customer: replied 3 months ago. traveling in NY. This has worked everywhere for me, even in Europe!
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Well something is not working right now, and all of the steps you can try on a user level are not working. How old is the Bose (roughly)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I keep getting message "make sure Bluetooth is on and Mini is in range", both which are okay
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Since you're not able to use BlueTooth between the devices (even after every possible reset there is), then I would suggest as a temporary workaround, using an 1/8" to 18" stereo AUX cable to connect the Iphone to the Bose- setting the Bose to "AUX" so you can enjoy the system until you are able to get this out to Bose for repairs.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay...go to sleep. Another $50 down the drain��
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

These symptoms indicate the BlueTooth receiver on the Bose has failed, as it's not able to be "paired". In this case the Bose would need the receiver replaced, which needs the unit to be sent back to Bose.

For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.
For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix here.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?