Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I bought a Marantz around Christmas and you guys installed

Customer Question

I bought a Marantz around Christmas and you guys installed it. Some reason I tried to an update today and it kept saying update retry. I let it go for hours. I had a picture on my TV but had to use the TV speakers. Now I have no picture. My zone 2 works from the TV.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is the marantz on wired ethernet?

Did you do the update on your own, or were you prompted to do one?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did the update on my own. It came up on the tv saying there is update and I clicked update
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Okay there was a recent issue related to pandora so that is what the update would have been for.

Were you using wifi, or ethernet for the update?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using wifi
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now it said connection failed 01. I cant open any menu on the receiver. I press every button and nothing happens. Its frozen.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

That is the source of the problem then, the download was likely damaged or interrupted which caused the update to become corrupted.
Even though these units are capable of connecting to wifi for streaming, etc, it is never a good idea to update the firmware via wifi, as a failed install can actually cause permanent damage to the receiver.

Initially, lets try a microprocessor reset: Power off, then press and hold the ZONE 2 SOURCE / M-DAX buttons on the front panel, and keep holding them while powering back on, until you see the display flash, then release and test for functionality.

If no change, we can try a deeper factory reset process, and failing that it would need to go in to marantz factory service to have the control board replaced.

If these steps return functionality to normal, do not try the update again. You should only update by plugging it in to a wired ethernet connection.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Rob?