Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I have the Cinemate 1 SR and it is fading in and out with

Customer Question

I have the Cinemate 1 SR and it is fading in and out with the digital sound. And now it is making a popping sound. I have the cable box going into the TV and then the output to the soundbar. I changed the fiber optic cord to see if that was it. It wasn't. Other ideas?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you try routing the optical cable from the cable box directly to the soundbar and see if that helps?
If no change, put the cord back, then check in both the tv and the cable box settings menus for audio output format options and set it to pcm/stereo (not dolby/digital/auto).

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan,Thanks for being patient with me. I did all of the above and have narrowed it down to the sound bar or the cable box. I am exchanging the box today. So I will let you know.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the update. I would expect it is a bad box, which is a common fault

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan,It is not the box. So that leaves the sound bar. What now? I am handy at opening and repairing, but it could be anything, ie amp, input, board, etc.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Well fading would point to a preamp/processing issue more than it would to the amplifier circuitry, so realistically it isn't going to be something you could repair yourself, simply because parts are not available. Bose parts are highly restricted and there are 1 or 2 places in the entire country authorized to get parts and work on them. It would be best handled by contacting bose direct to inquire about any possible warranty coverage and then subsequently send it in to bose factory service:(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
why didn't I go straight to Bose in the first place?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You could have, though this is a 2011 model so it is most likely well past the warranty period; and they do not offer an instant online support format like this where you can get an immediate answer. Really, they would not have provided any answers anyway other than telling you to just send it in for evaluation.

You connected with me, an independent tech here on the site, where I can at least give you some troubleshooting steps and diagnostic information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But you knew that if it ended up being the sound bar, you could not help in repairing it. Warranty was not the issue. Parts were the issue. Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Yes that is true, but I also did not know you had hoped or intended to do any repairs yourself; most people do not. As such, my initial approach was intended to diagnose the issue, as it may not have been a bose problem at all in the first place. Unfortunately though in the end there isn't much more either of us can do here; that is just the nature of bose products which are not designed to facilitate repairs.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.