ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I have a Sony Projector VPL-VW50. It used to work fine. Now

Customer Question

I have a Sony Projector VPL-VW50. It used to work fine. Now when it starts it displays an all green rectangle, then a blue rectangle with a green frame around it and the input source in upper left corner is in red text (used to be in white text). When I show any video it is all red, not reddish but its like all the colors have been replaced with red and a little blue. The entire picture is red.I have tried to reset the picture setting. I have unplugged the projector and then restarted it. I have tried different HDMI cables. I have tried different video sources, cable, DVD, Blu-ray. But the all red coloring of the video persists.Please let me know how to fix this.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  ITPeter replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

These SXRD projectors use three separate panels for Red, Green and Blue to display all the colors.

So if you are seeing missing colors then there is a problem with one of the panels inside.

Did the projector get a knock or was it dropped? A shock to the projector could have caused the panels to fall out of place.

The projector will require servicing to repair this problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete, The projector has not been knocked or dropped it has been in its ceiling mount bracket the whole time. When it starts up it cycles through Green, Blue and Red. So it is still able to project Red, Green and Blue. Having said that it is almost as if the color white is missing and white is replaced by red. The reason I say that is that the input source shown in the upper left of the projection screen is that the font is shown in red, it was in white before when everything was working correctly. So what would make the projector show red where it should be showing white?
Expert:  ITPeter replied 11 months ago.

Ok, so it is possible for the projector to show all colors but for some reason it is choosing not to...

Therefore this indicates a problem with how it is processing the input signal.

This is likely caused by a problem with the digital processing board inside the projector.

Approximately how old is the projector?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete,
I have tried both the HDMI1 and HDMI2 input. When I toggle through the inputs the text in the upper left of the projection screen the font is red instead of white for all the inputs. Same thing when I bring up the menu it is all red. Is there a way to send you a picture?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete, should I try the analog inputs? Since you stated that: "This is likely caused by a problem with the digital processing board inside the projector."
Expert:  ITPeter replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can attach a photo here using the paperclip icon on your question page.

Do also try the analog inputs and let me know if the experience the same distortion.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete, Here are the pictures I took of the projector screen from start up and on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete, Here are the pictures I took of the projector screen from start up and on. On Tuesday after 4th of July please let me know what the problem with my projector is.
Happy 4th of July.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete, Here are the pictures I took of the projector screen from start up and on. Please let me know what the problem with my projector is.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 11 months ago.

I haven't been able to diagnose any fault from the images.

I will check if the other experts have any idea on this.

Pete.