info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Home Theatre and Amplifiers expert
18621325

We have a Marantz SR5005 and can't see a picture on our TV.

Customer Question

Hi we have a Marantz SR5005 and can't see a picture on our TV. We get audio but no sound. I've already reset the receiver a few times but that's not fixing the problem. Could it be something else? I've checked the HDMI cable too.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: Sony XBR-65X810C
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Checking all cables and resetting the receiver.
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: It was working fine this morning. We had the TV installed in January of this year but the receiver was purchased and installed in January 2011. We've already replaced the HDMI cable that runs from the TV to the receiver in December 2015 because it broke.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  info tech replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Sorry can you explain?Hi we have a Marantz SR5005 and can't see a picture on our TV. We get audio but no sound

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We turned on Tv and there is no picture but we do get sound.

Thanks, ***** ***** you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu come up please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the menu comes up

Its a signal issue

Please re-boot any satellite or cable box you may be using by unplugging the box from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again, it will be a good idea to do the same with the TV at the same time.

We find software glitches within the box can cause this

Let me know how this works out, if it works out good would you please rate the answer positively by using the rating bar of stars usually at the top of the page with this post

Any issues let me know please

Thanks again

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still no picture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no sound now.

You have given time for everything to boot up

Please press the menu button again TV remote control let me know if you still see the menu

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

There is a problem with the signal from the box, have a look at the lead that goes from the box to the TV please check both ends and if its HDMI please swap it let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't do that

Hopefully you did not swap inputs during the boot up process?

Can you try another input like a DVD player?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My HDMI cable runs in the wall. My receive is in a different room.

The menu coming up puts the TV 90% in the clear

If a DVD works or similar then theirs a problem with the lead OR the box itself

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried the blu Ray and no picture only sound. It appears that the issue is with the receiver.

Did you reboot the receiver too sorry i should have asked you to do that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did.

Receiver is bad I am afraid, looks like you have everything routed through that and the buffers for the output would appear to be bad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But why do I get sound?

The sound is routed through a different channel video and sound are separate channels

They are separated and processed that way there will be different leads for sound and pic even for HDMI the sound and pic are separate

Not together like an antenna composite has one yellow lead for pic red and white for sound component has 3 for pic two for sound

leads I mean

HDMI has many sound pins and many pic

So the pic buffers can get damaged I usually see this after a storm or power-surge

Only other thing is the leads themselves but if they are RCA as I think they will be on this marantz then its not likely

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

You have gone quiet?

You can bypass the marantz by going straight to the TV but it seems like that may not be an option because of your logistics there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've resorted to that now but now we're having issues with that. So maybe it's the TV itself.

In any case the marantz can be bypassed obviously then you wont have the sound qual but the TV will get a signal then

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we removed the HDMI cable from receiver and input it into the DirectTV box and no picture again

Not likely as that would mean 2 inputs down on the TV at same time , its possible the TV inputs got damaged but you would need to rule out the marantz first

so now you have hdmi going direct from box to tv sound but no pic?or no sound no pic?

If its neither try swapping inputs by pressing the input button once every second with the TV remote

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no pic and no sound

It looks like you lost input so the input is in the wrong mode, cycling the input or source button should bring it back

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Something is wrong with the input on the tv

Yes its now beginning to look that way, here is the way I treat HDMI issues

Hdmi loss is a very common issue with modern TVs, there is however a procedure to follow and that procedure is this

1) Un-plug the set from wallpower wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again re-check if HDMI has returned

2)Reset the TV to factory default in the settings menu (if there is a facility in the settings some sets have this some do not)

3)Go to the website of the manufacturer of the set in your case Sony and go to support for your model look to see if there is any firmware upgrade and if your firmware is up to date if not upgrade the firmware according to the guide that will be with the firmware at the site (assuming there is a download there may not be) www.sony.com

4)If all bases covered above that will mean a main-board replacement

You need to get the back off the set, locate the mainboard thats the one with all the AV connectors on, unplug and unscrew the board from the chassis, remove the board ,carefully examine the board for its part number usually found on a sticky label on the board or etched on the board, (you may need to go through a few codes before you find the right number)when you get the partnumber try www.shopjimmy.com first, if they dont have it google the partnumber to locate a supplier, its the reverse to fit plug in and switch on TV (plug and play)

Let me know if you need more info

Anthony

If the set is under warranty please use that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, by chance am I getting a transcript of this chat? So that I can know what to tell Sony.

You can save it or print it off ?bookmark the page or email it to sony

Just copy and paste the page address

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks!

Before you go I will just check there is no backlight switch off on this set hold on

There is no mention of this in troubleshooting however please check the manual too, some sets have backlight shutdown

Ahh sorry the menu came up

So that eliminates that angle

OK thanks

Please remember the rating thank you

Anthony

Do you still need help please?

Anthony