Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Honestly the exact same thing the gentleman described in the

Customer Question

Honestly the exact same thing the gentleman described in the post I am reading. I did something to my remote and now there is no sound from my TV from the receiver.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG - maybe 6 years old - 55-LH40
JA: Huh?
Customer: You asked the model of the tv
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reset the denon receiver.
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: The tv works fine solo, but no audio through the denon receiver
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Audio from television stopped coming through my Denon receiver after hitting something on my remote.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Denon. Additionally, please describe how the receiver is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

And which remote was involved in the "... did something to my remote..."

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

...and yes on the phone call; thanks.

Let us first establish the system connections and other information.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The receiver is a Denon AVR-1705.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an optical cable running from my Uverse receiver into the Denon.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has worked fine and then randomly just stopped. I think I might have done something on my remote, but not sure
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Which remote please, the TV's or the Denon's?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a universal remote leftover from when I had dish network. I do have access to the Denon remote
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Yes please; can you try using the original Denon remote and try pressing on the MODE button a couple of times until AUTO is selected?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Next step?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there another step, please?
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

On the Denon AVR-170 unit itself, can you please try the INPUT SELECTOR until the there is sound of the Uverse receiver heard into the Denon ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sound
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Would the Denon work by itself; i.e. in radio AM or FM mode?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It works fine when I use the DVD input.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is the only other input I have going into into it.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

I understand.

Which is used to connect the Uverse receiver 's optical connection; OPT-1 or OPT-2?

And does the Denon have to be set to TV/DBS (before) to hear the Uverse receiver sound?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OPT-2 and it would have to be set to TV in order to hear the audio... If it were working.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Again I understand.

Since the MODE button has been tried with no corrective results likewise with the RESET, would you consider hardware checks?

How is the DVD connected to the Denon please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Optical 1
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Would you consider swapping the optical cables? i.e. connect the Uverse receiver to OPT-1 and the DVD to OPT-2 for test purposes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still nothing. Although this is weird even when I swap them, the tv still shows as opt2 on the display screen
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Yes that is to be expected since the Denon's inputs/ports has to be "assigned" yet.

Can you please try selecting DVD? ...and check if there is Uverse receiver sound?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It works fine. Can an optical cable just go bad? I might have another one I can test.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The red light in the one for the dad is very bright and the one on the tv is pretty weak.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Possibly, without looking at it directly, these red beam of light indicates the audio light carrier. And yes, optical cables can and do go bad (over time).

Still, so Uverse receiver sound is present when selecting DVD? If yes, can you now try watching a DVD movie and set the Denon to TV? ...and check if there would be DVD movie sound please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for the confusion. There is never sound from Uverse receiver into Denon no matter what input I select.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

If OPT-1 is now used to connect the Uverse receiver and problem persist as that of when OPT-2 is used, then the issue would not be with the Denon nor a remote button inadvertently pressed.

Yes please, try another optical cable if available.

And please post back with the model number of the Uverse receiver.

Thanks.