Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a new Yamaha rxv677 receiver. Today it shut itself

Customer Question

I have a new Yamaha rxv677 receiver. Today it shut itself off and will not power on. when unplugged then re-plugged in it makes a clicking sound but no lights appear on face of unit
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: just today
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: only plugging it in and unplugging it
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The shut down is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

Let me know the results, or lack thereof, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The unit is completely disconnected from all speakers and will not power on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no power light that comes on, however you hear a single click
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for checking.

Please give me a moment to finish responding, opening new questions cost you more and hinders my ability to work with you here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

The continued failure to boot at this point indicates a hardware failure.

We can try a microprocessor reset next:
With power still off, press and hold the STRAIGHT button on the front panel, while pressing the power button,

let me know if it will turn on and show anything on the screen in that situation

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?