Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

Yamaha RX-V475 receiver.

Customer Question

Yamaha RX-V475 receiver.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Tom.

The system is in a shut down or protection mode, which results from a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself. This could be damage as the result of a surge from the recent electrical work.

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

Let me know the results and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
During the electrical work an open ground in the circuit caused a drop in voltage as measured from hot to ground to about 85-90 volts. All speakers were working perfectly prior to the elec. work. The cable box has shut down as has the blu-ray. As I said, the receiver was not on during the electrical work.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Yes I understand it was not powered on, but unless it was physically disconnected from the power outlet, a surge or other damage is still possible. If other devices were damaged that is further evidence of this.

Please do still try the above steps though, just in case some wiring was bumped or dislodged while working on the cable box or bluray too

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will contact my cable company in the AM and to reset the cable box. If successful, I will try disconnecting everything, though the electrical work was done in another room and only the power cordsmof the cable box and blu-ray were disturbed. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Thanks, Tom
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks Tom, and best of luck to you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Tom?