Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I have a Panasonic SA-AK-500 Stereo system. All of a sudden

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic SA-AK-500 Stereo system. All of a sudden the 5-disk CD player quit working. It won't play, won't eject.......The message says "Error". Is there some way I can get my CD music disks out of the player? My favorite music is stuck in there.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Sandra.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing you suggested worked, so thinking it was probably toast anyway, I took it apart so I could retrieve my CD's. The thing the discs sit on had slipped out of place and was blocking the mechanism from ejecting or playing. I can't figure out how to get it back in place.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

That would fit with one of the hardware faults that I mentioned.

Without being there to see it I really can't tell you exactly how to put it back together other than to reverse the process you followed initially.

If it had slipped out of place though, there is likely an underlying shaft or motor piece that actually broke off, as the tray moves on tracks and doesn't just slip unless something else is broken.

You can certainly try putting it back together, but now you've at least got your discs out and if it won't start up again it is not worth having repaired further, it would be more cost effective to buy a new unit with a fresh warranty. Example:

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,