Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

I have a Pioneer vsx-522-k and bought it about 18 months

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer vsx-522-k and bought it about 18 months ago. Over 3-4 days time there were crackling, sort of pinging sounds coming from the speakers. Almost like an old Atari game. The movie or TV sound would go blank and these noises would start. I tried reset, I called Pioneer and they had me do speaker tests, check signal select and no sound was coming out. They told me I would need to send the unit out. It is EXPENSIVE and not worth it unfortunately. Today I was bored so, I hooked it all back up. Miraculously I got sound coming out but now instead of traditionally having volume set in the 20s to hear sound, I have to crank the volume level to like 40-50. I noticed that if I change to Adv Surround by accident, the crackling comes back!!! The sub went BOOM BOOM real loud too! I immediately switched back to AUTO/DIRECT. Should I bite the bullet hear and replace this thing?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jeff and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, if the RESET was not corrective, then it would be indicative of an internal hardware issue.

Similarly, if all external settings & configurations have been re-checked with all connections & wiring correctly in-place, then the Pioneer should work as expected.

With the above in mind and more particularly the description of " AUTO/DIRECT..." would point to the DSP (digital signal processor) circuitry in the Audio Assy Board P/N 7028071641060-IL as the most likely suspect. Going DIRECT would mean that the DSP is bypassed.

In most instances, this would require a board replacement rather than component level repair.

It would be to your advantage to evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, age, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models; replace rather than repair.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, I thank you for your input. I felt this is what you might say. I am not really happy with Pioneer at all going forward. Mostly due to how I was treated when their support called me back. I live in NJ too and Onkyo is out of NJ. I'm not going ot mess with it any further and I respect your reply. Thanks again.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Appreciate your kind understanding Jeff.

It is often difficult to do these post as I am aware that this is not an answer most customers would not want to hear. However, my participation with customers requires that I provide the best possible diagnosis given the posted information (and proposed course of action), even if the reply may not be that welcomed by some customers.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.