Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an old Bose av 18 sound system pre HDMI. It worked

Customer Question

I have an old Bose av 18 sound system pre HDMI. It worked with my previous TV but not with my new Samsung Smart TV. I have hooked up an optical audio cable and the video cable (yellow) but cannot get a signal on the AV port on the TV. I've set thecTV speaker output to "Optical"
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home Theater Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Home Theater Technician should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home Theater Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Please postback with the model number off the back of the Samsung.

Also, you mentioned not being able to get signal on the AV port (meaning video?)? If so, that has nothing to do with the optical. Optical is for sound only.

Please elaborate on the model of the TV and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Samsung UE48JS8500
I meant that I have selected the AV source on the TV but continue to get a "No Signal" screen on the TV with a Check Cable and Press Source addition. Nothing I do will get a signal between the Bose and the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Tell me what the jack is labeled on the TV where that yellow cable is plugged into.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Is it the greenish/yellow port labeled "Y/Video"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a composite YRW RCA adaptor into a 3.5mm jack. It is the jack input on the back of the TV marked YWR ie the lower one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have an optical audio cable from the optical out on the TV to the optical in on the Bose
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Forget optical for now- it's for sound- not picture, and has nothing to do with the TV getting a picture from the Bose.

Okay, so the cabling and port is correct, now we need to see WHY the Bose is not displaying. Do you have ANY other device (such as a cable box, or basic DVD player) you can plug into that yellow port to see if there is a video signal on the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have full sound and video from a Sky satellite box to the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I am asking specifically if you can use that SAME YELLOW PLUG ON THE ADAPTER using another device please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have no other device but all worked perfectly 3 days ago on the old TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I know, I see everything that you posted. I'm looking for another device for troubleshooting so we don't chase our tails wondering if it's the Bose or the TV causing the issue.

Anyhow what is the specific port on the back of the Bose (and yes I realize it worked before) labeled that the yellow cord is plugged into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Composite video out
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That is bizarre, it would seem everything is connected and set right.

In order to get an AV signal you need:

Composite video OUT on Bose.

Yellow composite video IN on TV.

Samsung "Source" button selects AV.

Please double check these things one more time please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, check the back of your Sky box for a yellow video out real quick. If it has one, plug that yellow cable into that and select AV on the TV (so the cable runs from Sky box to TV). This is a TEST.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked and all as before. There is a series of source options mostly HDMI with AV and "Component". I Selected AV. By the way does it matter if the 2 RCA plugs are connected to the Bose? I assume not? Anyhow, it continues to say No Signal
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

AV is correct. Elaborate- if "What" 2 RCA plugs are connected to the Bose???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I have a Y, W and R RCA plug which is connected via an adaptor to the 3.5mm jack at the other end - the TV obviously has no RCA sockets. Anyway, the "spare" R and W plugs are in the AUX slots at the back of the Bose. I already tried with them not connected but it made no difference
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay yes those are for audio only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. No video port just HDMI and optical. It's a new Sky Q box too but that should not matter I expect.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please unplug the Bose from power (shut the TV off). Then remove those connections on both ends (pull out the AV adapter pigtail on the TV as well).

Press and hold the power button on the Bose remote for 10 seconds and release.

Wait a minute, then reconnect the AV adapter to the Samsung and try ANOTHER yellow cable to the Bose and to the adapter.

Make sure all cables are secure and that the cable is plugged specifically into "Composite out" (not IN) on the Bose.

Plug the Bose back into power and turn it ON. Make sure the Bose is ON and then turn the TV on, and use the Samsung "Source" button to select "AV".

Let em know if anything at all displays on the screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the Bose off? Ie hold the remote power button?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes. This drains residual current.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by "reconnect the AV adaptor..."? Also, I only have the one yellow video cable - the others are RCA at both ends.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apart from that, no change unfortunately!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW the video cable is brand new