Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Installed Kenwood kmr-d562bt on boat a month ago. It worked

Customer Question

Installed Kenwood kmr-d562bt on boat a month ago. It worked fine after installing. Then I tried last week and no volume. Not even recognizing volume bar. Speakers work cuz it beeps when sources change. It does not recognize Bluetooth or USB
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Hello Wayne, First- have you tried removing the faceplate and then using a paperclip to press and hold the tiny reset button under the faceplate for 7 full seconds and releasing? If not, then please give that a shot and let me know what happens. If that does not work, then please tell me what battery voltage you currently have on the boat- is the battery full charged/topped off to over 12 volts? A low battery can cause the audio to not work on these decks. As a quick test you can also connect a charger to the battery and then perform one more reset using the button ad then see if the deck works after that. Let me know what happens please.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I've done all that and just now did again. No change and battery is fully charged
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Then you've got a faulty Kenwood on your hands here. The reset puts the unit back to factory defaults, and clears the memory back to shipping conditions. This supersedes any possible bad settings, adjustments as being the cause of the issue. So if you're saying the volume bar will not even display on the screen, and there's no audio aside form the beep when changing sources- then the Kenwood has prematurely failed- there's no other settings or adjustments besides the reset button. Was this unit purchased brand new from an authorized retailer? If so, then I would suggest contacting them and starting a warranty repair ticket on the unit.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So I'll have to take it all apart again and send unit back to Kenwood.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
If within 30 days from purchase- then you exchange it at the retailer. The exchange period is 30 days, beyond that it's warranty repairs through Kenwood. As a last ditch effort I would try unplugging the radio completely from the battery (or just remove the positive battery terminal) for 5 minutes then reconnect and try the reset once more. If that does not work then yes the unit needs to be exchanged or repaired as it is faulty. Sorry for the bad news on this one and I wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This was earlier replaced by eBay vendor because a different model was faulty with no power so just frustrating
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
That is really frustrating, and I install lots of Kenwoods. I have to ask- is the eBay seller selling reconditioned models or something? Perhaps it would be best to go with a reputable seller like Crutchfield? I never have had an issue with a Kenwood deck from them with over 30-40 units purchased.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. Ive been a Kenwood fan for years
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
I understand. Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I'm good
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.
Okay. The site still shows you need assistance with this, so if satisfied with my efforts could you please click a positive rating for my service? Otherwise your deposit sits with the site and I am not credited for working with you.