Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I have a Yamaha TSR- 5790 receiver but have speaker wires that

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha TSR- 5790 receiver but have speaker wires that are red, and white. How do I connect the speakers to the reveiver?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are you referring to the rear speakers? Outdoor/zone speakers?
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just need some basic help by text or email
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
That is fine, I had sent the call offer as it appeared you had requested it. As a general rule, a 4 conductor speaker cord would be used to connect 2 speakers in a left/right configuration, regardless of their location. Typically we use:Red=left +Black=left -White=Right +Green=Right - I cannot guarantee how whomever wired the house may have set things up, but this is the industry standard that any pro installer would have followed. Connect them in this configuration to the back of your yamaha, and if it doesn't work, we'd need to either remove a speaker and check its actual wiring, or do some trial and error testing.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
If this is for front speakers, you'd use the front left/right ports on the yamaha,same for surround,and if for outdoor or zone speakers, you'd put them on the z2/surround terminals.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?