Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Suddenly, my approx. 3 year old AVR-113 immediately stops at

Customer Question

Suddenly, my approx. 3 year old AVR-113 immediately stops at even moderate volume. This can't be from overheating, since the unit was cold and hadn't been turned on, and for that matter I have a blower fan for the unit that was already going when the problem started. This problem occurs from 2 different inputs. Is this unit salvageable?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you recheck that model number, please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Denon AVR-1513
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for confirming. You mentioned it happens with 2 inputs, which ones?Does it happen on the internal tuner?As a test, please disconnect the speakers, and put it on tuner mode. Will it run that way without shutting down? When it does stop, does the light/display flash?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it does not cut out playing the tuner. The two inputs are a DVD player and a digital tape deck (which I have in the CBL/SAT port).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When the unit stops the single red dot below the power button flashes, but that's all; there is no visible error code or anything.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for confirming.It is unusual that it wouldn't affect the tuner, have you tested the radio tuner for longer periods? How is the dvd player connected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I never play the tuner. The DVD/CD player is connected to those audio ports (RCA jacks). The component video cables are plugged into the TV and NOT connected to the receiver at all (it doesn't have these inputs, only HDMI, which the DVD player doesn't have). Since both the DVD/CD player and DAT deck are suddenly having this problem, I imagine that any standard RCA plug input gets routed through the same internal amplification series, which the tuner probably wouldn't. Is this the explanation?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Okay, well you specifically stated that it does not cut out playing the tuner.If you are unsure of that because you don't use it or haven't recently, that is very important for me to know, because it significantly affects the diagnosis of this. Please specifically test the tuner (connect the antenna it came with if you haven't already).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, you are right, the tuner DID cut out the same way (on a clear station) at a volume setting of about 80.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Okay, that is what I needed to know, thank you for confirming. The shut down is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage. This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll try it at high volume with the speakers disconnected (listen by headphones). The problem is absolutely not due to overheating, since it occurs immediately when the unit is still cold. (Overheating has never occurred on this unit, but I have experienced it on other receivers, so I have an outboard blower fan on it that was already turned on.) So if it is not a short in the speakers (or, astronomically unlikely, in the speakers wires or connections), leaving only the AV receiver itself, is this even worth getting repaired?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Volume really doesn't matter, when no load is connected.If it happens with nothing connected at all, then it is a DC Offset condition (voltage leaking between components in the output stage of the amp).It is absolutely not worth fixing. You could expect to be in the $300+ range for repairs. You can buy a brand new unit with a fresh warranty and updated features for the same price. Should it come to that, which I expect it will, I can recommend replacement options for you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?