ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

Need help setting up my HDMI input through my Denon 3806. Te

Customer Question

Need help setting up my HDMI input through my Denon 3806. Te system is not recognizing it.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lindsay,Try switching OFF the Analog to HDMI conversion and then test the HDMI input again.Let me know if that works?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Pete, we tried that actually, no dice. The HDMI inputs
And outputs are set up correctly according to the manual, the HDMI setting in VIDEO SETTINGS is set to HDMI1 and the analog-HDMI option is OFF. It's still not picking it up
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
Where is your HDMI input coming from? Is it a DVD player? Have you tried connecting a different HDMI input device?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so we tried it out from my laptop into the HDMI input on the Denon, then out HDMI to the projector. We got a 480p picture, only option, with no sound coming through. For some reason the projector is locked on 480p and won't reset. So then we figured we'd just burn a Blu Ray and set up his DVD player again (all of this has worked for him before some friends of his messed with it). We had HDMI OUT from the DVD player to IN on the Denon. We set it up as HDMI 1-DVD on the Denon settings. But we got nothing, no picture, no sound.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
Ok, so so far you have tried the laptop and the BluRay - do you have another HDMI input device that you can try?I suspect the problem is with the BluRay system and not the Denon 3806....(the laptop 480p issue is another matter)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I tried running my laptop through the system with HDMI. We got picture but it was 480p, and there was no sound. We tried changing the settings for audio to AMP but still nothing.
Is there a way you can call my friend instead of me to sort this? It's his house and I won't be there today. I'm happy to pay for the call and service should this settle the issue!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also what's weird is when we bypassed the denon and went straight HDMI out to the projector from the Blue Ray we got a 480p picture but no sound, so we know the Blu Ray works....unfortunately my friend is working all day today and won't be home to fix this. I had a screening planned tomorrow which it looks like I'll need to cancel and find another venue, so I most likely won't be chasing this up. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
The laptop is not an ideal test subject, as the HDMI port on it is usually for graphics only (depending on the laptop) - most do not pass audio through, and the graphics settings would need to be tweaked.Again, I would suspect the BluRay is not compatible with the Denon 3806, and would suggest testing it with a different BluRay or DVD player (not a laptop) if you want to continue further troubleshooting with this.Best,Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
maybe for some laptops, but certainly not for mine. I have played this movie on dozens of systems using only one HDMI cable.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 7 months ago.
Ok, well let me know if you intend to pursue this further, or if you would like to end this question.Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.