Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Trying to connect audio system to DENON AVR-589: 1. I've connected

Customer Question

Trying to connect audio system to DENON AVR-589: 1. I've connected small TimeWarner Cable box to the AVR-589's via an HDMI cable between the HDMI socket on Cable Box and the TV/CBL socket on AVR-589. 2. I've also connected the HP Flatscreen TV to the AVR-589 via an HDMI cable between HDMI-1 socket on TV and the "Monitor" socket on AVR-589. 3. I've connected the Optical Audio cable to OPT1 (IN) socket on AVR-589 and the OPT OUT socket on TV. 4. I turn on AVR-589, by pushing the TV/CBL button on remote for AVR-589. Result is great cable TV Video but no sound through the AVR-589. I GET SOUND thruough the TV speakers if I turn up the volume!
Note: I've carefully checked all connections and they're good.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello, If there's still sound from the TV speakes, then that means they are not shut off and the optical out on the TV is not engaged. Additionally many HP sets (since they haven't been made in quite some time) do not pass an HDMI or other external signal from the optical port. The optical port is only used to output the TV's built in tuner audio. However I will need the full model number off of the back of the TV to look up any specifics. As an aside, the cable box likely also has an optical output that can be connected directly to the Denon.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Let me know when you're able to see my reply.