Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My Kenwood RV7000 works fine on the default settings but

Customer Question

My Kenwood RV7000 works fine on the default settings but as soon as I adjust the speaker distance and levels the HDMI output is very unreliable (the last time I adjusted the settings the TV immediately lost the signal). When I perform a factory reset, everything is fine again. Is there anything I can do? Seems a shame to have such a good receiver but being unable to do some minor tweaking.
- Daniel
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Perhaps it depends upon your TV. The Kenwood RV7000 has HDMI 1.4 after all, and if the TV's input is not compatible with that, it may cause problems. Also, make sure you are using a good-quality HDMI cable - the poor-quality ones don't transmit well and fail easily. Not that it is likely to explain the whole extent of the problem you describe, but cheap HDMI cables do contribute to problems. What sort of speaker distance adjustments seem to cause the problem? Also, have you tried just doing a reset of the settings and then leaving the setup running for a while? you might find out that way, whether the problems are caused by the setup running for a while, rather than the speaker distance adjustments.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Interesting point about the HDMI version. It's connected to a Samsung LA52M81BD TV which I believe is 1.3. I'll check the HDMI cable running from the receiver to the ARC input of the TV. If it's not up to scratch, I'll try a new HDMI cable (one that's at least 1.3 compatible). Still seems strange that it works fine with factory default settings though.It usually takes a while for me to adjust the settings (meaning the Kenwood's setup is running for a while already). But I can try it again and just let it sit.This last time I adjusted the settings I messed with the balance/volume of the individual speakers first and still had the video signal coming through but then when I still wasn't happy with the overall balance I went back in and adjusted the speaker distances (to match the actual distance they are from the couch) and that was when I immediately lost the signal (at least I think it was in that order). That being said, when I adjusted the settings when I first bought it (admittedly secondhand) it was a good few months before I lost the signal after I initially adjusted all the settings. A factory reset fixed it and for the last few months I hadn't bothered adjusting the settings again until now as the balance was really starting to annoy me. And sure enough, it's happened again only this time as I said it was instantaneous.Thanks for your help so far.
You're welcome. How did the balance sound wrong?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Too much sound/music coming out of the front left and right speakers and not enough dialogue coming out of the centre. During songs in movies for example, the music would overpower the singing.
OK. How did you readjust the balance? both toward what direction, and using what controls?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry. No. I mean the volume of each separate speaker. The front left and right speakers were simply too loud so I turned them down in the setup and turned the centre speaker up. I do that to get an equal balance from all speakers.
Is it possible that the speaker volume itself had drifted, or changed spontaneously?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. I really don't think so.
Yesterday I adjusted the volume of the individual speakers (just the fronts and the centre) to a level that sounded good without touching the speaker distance settings. Worked fine initially but the last couple of times after switching from one source to another the audio signal hasn't come through (but the video signal has remained). Turning off the receiver then turning it back on has fixed it... for now. Still rather annoying that it isn't working as it should be.
I'm puzzled by this HDMI audio problem. I think I ought to Opt Out, and let another Expert take a look at it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Thanks for your suggestions.