Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

Aric, my dav-hdx265 took a surge hit. now the protector

Customer Question

hi Aric, my dav-hdx265 took a surge hit. now the protector shows up, any way to reset. itook the cover off looking for a possible surge reset.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Chuck. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a fault in the amplifier components or control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc) which would be consistent with what you experienced.This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this system is significantly past its service life at this point (by about double).There is no reset button, and if it is powering up but giving the protect indicator then it is not an issue of a fuse or any other quick resolution.There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. Realistically, however, there are simply no parts available for these units any longer.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a system of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new system with updated features and a fresh warranty in the same price range as repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Chuck?