Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I have an old Denon AV Surround Receiver ( AVR-1804/884 ) and

Customer Question

I have an old Denon AV Surround Receiver ( AVR-1804/884 ) and just replaced an old Sony 36 in. Trinitron with a new Ultra HD Samsung 50 in. flatscreen TV. We were told that we need an adapter to connect the Audioquest Pearl HMDI. What do I need and where do I get it?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the rest of the system? What sources are you using (cable/satellite box, dvd, etc)?How is everything else currently connected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cable Verizon FIOS DVD , CD The entire system was connected by a professional about 12 yrs ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Okay, well you could continue using it as-is, by keeping the same analog output (component or composite) from the denon to the new tv, it just wouldn't be able to take advantage of the better HD picture quality of the new tv. To really optimize the system, it is probably time to replace the old denon as well, which again is analog only and won't work with the current digital video signals.The way around that would be to change the connections, using HDMI from the source device (fios box, dvd, etc) directly to the tv for video, and keeping the existing audio connections (red/white or fiber optic) from each to the denon for sound. There is no adapter needed for this type of configuration.If you went direct to the tv from each device and had no separate connection from each to the denon, then you would want to do optical from the tv back to the denon for sound. Let me know if you need more detail or explanation of any of these. Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Roger?