Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have worked with home theater systems for over 20 years.
11519491

I have a Kenwood AV Surround Receiver VR-309 and

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood AV Surround Receiver VR-309 and I have an OHM surround sound speaker system. When I initially plugged the sub-woofer into the receiver I was getting sound after adjusting the sound settings on the front of the receiver surround, stereo I am not getting sound from the sub-woofer. What do you you think?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Please unplug the RCA cable that runs from the subwoofer to the receiver. Unplug ONLY the end that connects to the receiver. Tap your finger on the tip of the cable. Do you hear buzz/hum coming from the subwoofer?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Do you need assistance with the question you posted? If so, reply back so I know you are here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that didn't get any hum or buzz
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
That means either your subwoofer or your cable is bad. Turn the subwoofer up 3/4 of the way and try it again. If that doesn't work then reply back with the model of your subwoofer.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Are you still with me? What is the model of the subwoofer? Please reply back as the question still shows you need help, but I need to run out in a little while.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Subwoofer is also an ohm has a left and right input but on the receiver has only a pretty amp out
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
"Model Number" off of the back of the subwoofer as requested please?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Should be located on a sticker on the back of the subwoofer underneath the OHM logo, or perhaps on the front of the unit. I need that since I do not have enough specifics to solve this without being able to reference the unit directly.
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Hi I tried to call you on this as per your request. I need to know the full model # ***** the Sun woofer. Also I would like to speak with you on this so I can help. Please let me knwo the best time to reach you.ThanksTech Mike
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I'm not at home right now I'll get the model of the subwoofer thank you larry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Hi Larry, when you have the time to give me the details I asked for I will help you with this issue. Have a great day Larry.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I don't if I'm speaking to Aric or Michael the model number of my OHM subwoofer is KG-5150 when I initially plugged it into the receiver the speaker was working and then I think I went into setup and it quit working.Larry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Hi Larry, this is Michael.I will work with you if you like?Just let me know?Thank you Maybe Aric oped out of this one?Tech Michael
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I am in front of the system right now if you want to call me and perform some trouble shooting.Larry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Hi Larry, Im sorry for the delay I am not on here all the time. But I do want to help if there is anything more we can do.Do you have a meter for some testing and how much electronic experience do you have?Also do you have electronic rework experience?When you reply to me on this I can tell you the best time for a phone call so I can be dedicated to you.I am in the EST time zone US.Thanks Larry.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Michael,Thanks for your help I don't have a meter tester. I bought the Kenwood receiver used that's what I don't understand I plugged the subwoofer in the receiver and it worked fine then I either changed settings using the sound and the setting button now the subwoofer is not working got a new 80 dollar cable no go. I don't have background in electrical repair but I have said degree in computers networking and programming and technical repair plug and play be home later tonight.Thanks
Larry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Hi Larry, Let me know the best time to call you.ThanksTech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
I can tell you that the most likely issue is a failed circuit in the sub woofer because the circuit that drives the sub for the Kenwood receiver is very well protected and also is "Passive" in its operations. Since you tried a new cable ( and I would return that because you dont need it, the old one is likely fine as well. But You will need a to take the sub to Best Buy or Sears. I would recommend Best Buy they will take it in and send it out, this takes about two weeks in most cases but they do excellent work and they are very fair priced ;-)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Michael on the subwoofer I have a passive switch and I switched it back and forth but did not make a differenceThanks
Larry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Larry, yes I do believe you have a failed component in the subwoofer ;-(But that will require specialized test equipment and extensive electronic knowledge so the best option really in this case is to bring it to a repair shop as I recommended. But most all Home audio shops now make repairs right there in the shop ;-)Hope that helps?Please keep me posted. Tech Michael
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay Michael,Huh I have 4 other OHM speakers connected to A & B speakers Jacks and they work fine thought since the subwoofer worked for a little bit it was okay. I didn't think the receiver was okay. I have a local repair shop that is really good in the Chicago suburbs Deltronics . I take it thereThank youLarry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Hi Larry that is most likely your best bet but I suspect the sub as the fault ;-)I am here if you need my further.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Michael,I will let you know the results.Larry
Expert:  Michael replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good ;-)